Top 15 Fun Facts About Ireland
August 20, 2017
in Travel Blog
The Emerald Island has plenty to boast about especially some things you may not have known. Here are the Top 15 Fun Facts About Ireland.
1. The earliest evidence of humans in Ireland dates over 12,000 years ago.
2. The City of Dublin contains 666 licensed pubs—and the legal drinking age is 18!
3. In 1307, a man named Murcod Ballagh near Merton in County Galway was executed by guillotine over 500 years earlier than in France.
4. A pub named Brazen Head is officially the oldest pub in Ireland dating back to 1198 A.D
5.The English Language was introduced during the Norman invasion in the 1300’s.
6. Happy hour is banned in Ireland in order to avoid drunks in the pubs
7. Snakes never lived in Ireland due to the ground always being cold
8. Irish family names that start with “Mac” means “son of” and “O” means the “descendant of”.
9. There are more Guinness drinkers in Nigeria then in Ireland. And enjoyed all over the world.
10. Martin Luther King Jr. had some Irish in him thanks to his great-grandfather.
11. If you have an Irish grandparent, you can claim to be an Irish Citizenship.
12. Before the Colombian exchange in the 15th & 16th century, potatoes didn’t exist in Ireland.
13. The three most popular symbols include a green shamrock, the harp and the Celtic cross. These can almost been seen everywhere.
14. Dublin in Old Irish Gaelic translates into “Black Pool”. Hmmm… wonder why?
15. The first recorded St. Patrick’s Day parade was held not in Ireland but in New York City in 1762. This day also marks the day St’ Patrick passed away.
15. The first recorded St. Patrick’s Day parade was held not in Ireland but in New York City in 1762.
October 27, 2017
September 4, 2017
August 1, 2017